The Lunt 2" White Light Solar Herschel-Wedge is a high quality ceramic prism used for observing Sunspots and surface granulation on the solar disk. Design for exclusive use with refractors up to 150mm aperture.
Delivery In 1-5 Days*
Warning: Last items in stock !
The Lunt 2" White Light Solar Herschel-Wedge is designed for use with refracting telescopes up to 150mm aperture, with 2" focusers. This provides superior White Light views and images of the Solar surface, granulation and Sunspots. Herschel Wedges provide superior resolution and better contrast than full aperture white light filters.
The main difference between Herschel Wedges and standard, front mounted filters is that the filtering takes place just before the eyepiece or camera. This allows better contrast and sharpness of the solar image. Herschel Wedges / Solar Wedges are used to observe the sun with refractor telescopes in white light. More than 95% of the Sun's light will be suppressed by the Herschel Wedge and the remaining 5% is further dimmed by a pre-installed Neutral Density 3.0 filter. An additional radial polarizing filter (supplied separately) installed in an eyepiece can reduce the light yet further to a desired level. A Herschel Wedge polarises light, so in order to tune the brightness using a polarising filter, you simply twist an eyepiece with a radal polarising filter installed. As the eyepiece twists in the Herschel wedge's eyepiece holder, polarisation either increases or decreases - and you can set this to your own personal needs. We recommend the Bresser Polarising Filter 2" for this purpose.
The advantages of the new LUNT Herschel Wedge:
Only for use with refractor telescopes up to a maximum of 150mm diameter aperture as the full energy and heat from the sun will be concentrated inside the telescope. it is for this reason that we advise that only refractors are used with a Herschel Wedge and that the refractors must not have corrector lenses at the back. Optical elements like corrector lenses or secondary mirrors of reflector telescopes become very hot by the concentrated solar energy and could be damaged.
Tuning the brightness:
Because the Herschel Wedge produces polarised light, you can fix a standard polarizing filter to an eyepiece or camera-adapter. By turning the polarising filter the brightness will be reduced.
A Polarising filter is not included.